As a District of Columbia public charter school, enrollment is free to all students who are residents of the District of Columbia and are between the ages of 16 and 24, who themselves and/or their parents submit completed applications, including all necessary documentation by the upcoming enrollment deadline. Students who are not DC residents will be required to pay tuition. Students must not be older than 24 years of age before enrolling in the upcoming semester. We enroll twice a year, once each semester. A public lottery is held after the closing of the enrollment period if there are more applicants than spaces available. Students not admitted each semester will be placed on a waiting list in the order of completion of enrollment package.
The Next Step prohibits discrimination on the basis of a student’s race, color, religion, immigration or citizen status, national origin, language spoken intellectual or athletic ability, measures or achievement or aptitude, sexual orientation, or disability. All the rights, privileges, programs and activities offered at The Next Step are made available to all students at the school. For more information about our anti-discrimination policy, read our complete Nondiscrimination Statement.
The deadlines to complete the application process for an upcoming semester are as follows:
- Deadline for Fall 2018 classes: Thursday, August 3, 2018 (9:00 PM)
- Deadline for Spring 2019 classes: Friday, January 19, 2019 (5:00 PM)
- Monday - Thursday, 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Washington, DC resident
- 16-24 years old
Enrollment Requirements & How to Apply
To apply to either our Day or Night School Program, please complete and submit the following required enrollment documentation:
- Proof of Age
- Proof of DC Residency
- Universal Health Certificate (including vaccination records and TB test results)
- Withdrawal or Transfer Form From Previous School (if applicable)
Note: The application is not complete until all required documents below are also submitted.
The Next Step Public Charter School Application
- Click here to print and fill out application.
Proof of Age
At least ONE (1) ORIGINAL of the following items:
- Birth certificate
- Valid driver's license showing the student's name
- Valid government or military issued ID showing the student's name
- Valid INS card showing the student's name
- Valid work permit
Proof of DC Residency(If you would like to access a copy of OSSE's List of Acceptable Supporting Documentation Checklist, click here)
One (1) supporting document is needed from this list to verify residency:
- Pay Stub: Issued within the forty-five (45) day-window immediately preceding the school’s review of residency documentation, that contains the name of person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student, shows his/her current DC home address, and shows withholding of DC personal income tax for the current tax year
- Unexpired Official Documentation of Financial Assistance from the Government of the District of Columbia: Issued to the person enrolling the student or the adult student within the past twelve (12) months and be current at the time presented to the school, including, but not limited to, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, the State Child Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), Supplemental Security Income, housing assistance or other programs.
- Certified Copy of Form D40: Certified by the DC Office of Tax and Revenue, with the name of person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student as evidence of payment of DC taxes for the current or most recent tax year.
- Military Housing Orders: Showing the name of the person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student, and their residency or home address in DC, including but not limited to a DEERS statement or other official communication on military letterhead.
- Embassy Letter: Issued within the past twelve (12) months showing the name of the person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student, indicating that the caregiver and the dependent student or the adult student currently live on embassy property in the District of Columbia or will reside on DC property confirmed by the embassy during the relevant school year, and an official embassy seal.
Two (2) supporting documents are needed from this list to verify residency. The address and name on each of the items must be the same.
- Unexpired DC motor vehicle registration showing the name of the person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student and his/her current DC home address.
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement with proof of payment of rent, in the name of the person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student, for a period within two (2) months immediately preceding the school’s review of residency documentation, for the current DC address at which the student actually resides.
- Unexpired DC motor vehicle operator’s permit or official government issued non-driver identification in the name of the person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student showing his/her current DC home address.
- Utility bill (only gas, electric, and water bills are acceptable) with proof of payment of a bill, from a period within the two (2) months immediately preceding the school’s review of residency documentation, listing the name of the person enrolling the student or the name of the adult student and his/her current DC home address.
If one of these applies, no signature is required in Part B of the DC Residency Verification Form.
- Homeless: There is evidence that the student is homeless and the school’s homeless liaison has provided the appropriate homeless documentation.
- Ward of the District of Columbia: Proof that child is a ward of the District of Columbia, in the form of a court order or official documentation from DC Child and Family Services Agency.
Universal Health Certificate (including vaccination records and TB test results)
All students entering and attending child care or school in the District of Columbia are required to show documented proof of complete, correctly spaced immunizations or proof of medical or religious exemption (Immunization of School Students Act of 1979-DC Law 3-20, and DCMR Title 22, Chapter1). Please note that the immunization regulations were revised in 2008 to include new immunization requirements.
The following are required immunizations for all students:
- Hepatitis B
- Chickenpox (Varicella) Vaccine
Parents that do not wish to have their child receive the HPV vaccine for any reason can opt-out. Parents should submit a completed HPV Opt-Form, located at www.doh.dc.gov, with the rest of their child’s immunization forms. This form only applies to the HPV vaccine.
The Department of Health provides free vaccines for healthcare providers that serve Medicaid eligible children and the uninsured. DOH also provides free immunizations for uninsured and under-insured District residents at its express clinic. For more information about childhood immunizations or for a list of the express immunization clinics, contact the Citywide Call Center by dialing 311.
The DC Universal Health Certificate form can be downloaded here.
Withdrawal or Transfer Form From Previous School (if applicable)
If you have any questions or need help with the enrollment process please visit the school or call at (202) 319-2133.