Reports to: Facilities Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Custodian / Food Service Handler shall maintain the building and grounds in a clean and orderly condition and assist with student food service, as needed.
· High School Diploma or equivalent
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferable
Essential Skills and Experience
· minimum of six months to 1 year of related experience and/or training is highly desirable
· ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos
· ability to write simple correspondence
· ability to present information in one-on-one situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization
· ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s
· ability to perform these operations using U.S. monetary units and weight measurement, volume, and distance
· Maintain Community Room and restroom, Reheat Kitchen, and common area on the roof
· Take out the trash, mop and vacuum the floors daily, buff floors once a month and for special events, and/or any other requests regarding cleaning
· Maintain the main school kitchen and staff lounge by cleaning all areas, mopping, taking out trash, making coffee, and maintaining coffee supplies, cleaning out refrigerator once a week, before school breaks, holidays, and vacations
· Take all the trash to the dumpsters located outside the building
· Make sure the water fountains are clean, working properly
· Maintain the elevator by cleaning the walls and floors
· Notify management concerning need for major repairs or additions to lighting, heating, elevator, and ventilation equipment
· Maintain exterior grounds around the building and parking area of litter and debris
· Dust all light fixtures and equipment in high places
· Clean windows, spot clean doors and walls daily
· Must be on time every day and work a full 8 hour schedule on a regular basis, with a 30 minute lunch break
· Must be available to work overtime and cover other shifts
· Must be available to be on-call one weekend per month to assist our tenant as needed.
· Must be able to lift boxes, load and unload of supplies, equipment, and furniture, assist with the move of our school to the new facility.
· Assist Receptionist as needed with student food service and paperwork needed for NSLP requirements
· Clean restrooms in Community Room and on 3rd Floor every Monday morning
· Other duties as assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee is rarely required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts to high, precarious places; and outside weather conditions. The noise level in work environment is usually moderate.
General Responsibilities of all Staff Members
As a member of The Next Step staff, this position also involves the following:
· Fully embrace and promote The Next Step’s mission and values
· Develop and maintain positive and supportive relationships with all students
· Consistently implement school-wide expectations in classrooms and common areas
· Participate actively in special events, including field trips, community days, and college tours, graduations, Monday community meetings and staff meetings.
· Participate actively in school responsibilities such as hallway and lunch supervision
· Participate in assessment administration as needed throughout the school year
· Work cooperatively with colleagues to develop and implement effective and relevant policies
· Adhere to school policies as described in personnel manual and/or staff handbook
· Reflect upon performance, set goals for improvement, and take advantage of training opportunities to learn and implement effective strategies
· Maintain an organized, clean, and inviting work area
If you meet the qualifications, and would like to apply to this position, please forward your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com, with “Custodian” in the subject line.