Department: Career and Life Skills
Reports to: Career and Life Skills Director (CLSD)
FLSA Status: Temporary/Grant Position
Schedule: 8 to 10 weeks starting June 2018
Hours: M, W & F: 10 A.M. – 4 P.M. & T & Th: 3 P.M. – 9 P.M.
Purpose of Position
The role of Summer Career & Life Skills Assistant (SCLSA) is critical to the success of The Next Step Public Charter School (TNS). The SCLSA assists in the support of former and current students of TNS participating in the summer 2018 dual enrollment courses in partnership with the University of the District of Columbia Community College. The SCLSA supports participants with their educational and professional endeavors through referrals to one-on-one advising with a career and life skills advisor or service providers and consistent check-ins regarding program assistance. The SCLSA will also assist the department director in upcoming school year preparation deliverables. The Next Step staff engages and motivates young adults by developing positive relationships with them and supporting them as they face academic and life challenges. As members of The Next Step community, the SCLSA values academic achievement, persistence, responsibility, structure, support, collaboration and respect.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Some post-secondary course work is preferred
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Highly organized, efficient and detail-oriented
- Fluency with software, hardware, basic office equipment, and online programs used to track, maintain, and disseminate data
- Knowledge of FERPA
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
· Assist with the coordination and daily tasks of the summer 2018 dual enrollment programs at The Next Step PCS
· Monitor attendance of individual students enrolling in summer 2018 dual enrollment courses
· Maintain consistent communication with the director regarding concerns of dual enrollment courses, instructors, students, parents and school administration
· Provides short-term retention interventions (e.g. letters of support, calls, tutoring referrals) to dual enrollment students as needed
· Assist in creating and updating CLS marketing material for the upcoming school year
· Assist in creating student satisfactory surveys for CLS 2018-2019 school year events
· Assist in summer outreach projects/events (i.e. Alumni/Partner Mixer)
Other Duties and Responsibilities
· Ensures technology needs are adequate for delivery of dual enrollment courses with support of Information Technology Systems department
· Attends in-service training and/or other training as directed.
· Assist in job-related reports and/or other documentation as requested.
· Performs other job-related duties as required.
General responsibilities of all staff members
· Fully embrace and promote The Next Step’s mission, vision, and values
· Develop and maintain positive and supportive relationships with all students
· Consistently implement school-wide expectations in classrooms and common areas
· Participate actively in staff meetings, community meetings, and CLS weekly check-ins
· Participate actively in special events, community days, and graduations, etc.
· Work cooperatively with colleagues to develop and implement effective and relevant policies
· Adhere to school policies as described in personnel manual and/or staff handbook
· Reflect upon performance, set goals for improvement, and take advantage of training opportunities to learn and implement effective strategies
· Maintain an organized, clean, and inviting work area
If you meet these qualifications and are interested in applying, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "Summer Career and Life Skills Assistant."