Department: Child Care and Development
Division: Student Support and Engagement
Reports to: Child Development Coordinator
FLSA Status: Part-time Hourly
Hours: Monday's -Thursday's from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
The Child Development Associate (CDA) is responsible for the daily care, learning, supervision, and safety of the children enrolled in the child care and development program at the Next Step Public Charter School. The CDA will work as part of a team to assist in preparing structured lessons plans and activities that will stimulate and educate children to help reach developmental milestones. The CDA is also responsible building and maintaining relationships with parents to promote and teach new skills and healthy practices. The child care and development department will work to achieve the goals set forth for the department.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Essential Skills (including technical skills) and Experience
· Child Development Associate certificate
· Must have two years of experience working in a center-based or family child care setting
· Communicate professionally and effectively with a diverse population
· Computer Skills
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferable
Child Care Services Responsibilities
· Develop age and developmentally appropriate lesson plans and outlines
Develop and implement daily activities for children based on a written lesson plan in accordance with the departmental goals of the department, school mission and vision and knowledge of individual children's needs and interests.
· Promote healthy parenting skills by organizing parenting workshops and events that revolve around the needs of the parents and children
Assist children with routines including meals and personal care (diapering, toileting, hand washing, and resting) as appropriate to the age and stage of development of each child
Intentionally provides modeling and support for children’s expressive and receptive language and socialization throughout the school day as appropriate to the age and stage of development of each child
Inform program supervisor of any signs of abuse or neglect observed in children
Assists in maintaining files that are complete, accurate, and confidentially maintained
Guide and facilitate classroom activities for the children including: individual, small group and large group activities, field trips, family style meals, naps or quiet times
Maintain a safe and healthy classroom environment. Assure that classroom equipment, furniture, materials, and supplies are properly maintained, sanitized and stored.
Develop effective communication and partnership with families
· Collaborates with families and communities to support children’s social, emotional and cognitive development.
Performs other duties, as assigned
General responsibilities of all staff members
· Fully embrace and promote The Next Step’s mission, vision, and values
· Develop and maintain positive and supportive relationships with all students and children
· Consistently implement school-wide expectations in classrooms and common areas
· Participate actively in staff meetings, community meetings, and department/division-specific meetings
· Participate actively in special events, community days, and graduations, etc.
· Work cooperatively with colleagues to develop and implement effective and relevant policies
· Adhere to school policies as described in personnel manual and/or staff handbook
· Reflect upon performance, set goals for improvement, and take advantage of training opportunities to learn and implement effective strategies
· Maintain an organized, clean, and inviting work area
If you meet these qualifications and are interested in applying, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title "Part-time Child Development Associate"