College and Career Readiness
The College and Career Readiness Program helps current Next Step students and alumni plan and implement their S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time bound) goals for post-secondary education and/or career pathways.
Our full-time College and Career Readiness Advisors provide exposure and guidance on various post-secondary options, on trending careers in the metropolitan area and on how to access financial resources to continue their education. Through the College and Career Readiness Program, we offer our students and alumni a number of resources, including:
- one-on-one college and career planning sessions
- workshops focused on career prep, resume writing, post-secondary options, financial aid and validating foreign transcripts
- assistance in applying for dual enrollment at a local college or university
- post-secondary fairs, tours and campus visits
In addition, The Next Step PCS offers two in-house scholarships to our graduates: The Mundo Scholarship and the Ben Friedberg Scholarship.
- The Mundo Scholarship is a one-time $500 scholarship awarded to ALL students enrolled at The Next Step PCS at the time of graduating.
- The Ben Friedberg Scholarship is a one-time $1000 scholarship awarded to two graduates each semester (for a total of four scholarships per year).
To date, our College and Career Readiness department has successfully placed NSPCS alumni at the following institutions:
- BARD College
- Briya Public Charter School
- Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School
- Community College of the District of Columbia (UDC-CC)
- Job Corps
- LAYC Career Academy
- Metropolitan Police Department Cadet Program
- Montgomery College
- Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA)
- Prince George's Community College
- Trinity Washington University
- University of the District of Columbia (UDC)
- Washington Adventist University
- Workforce Development and Lifelong Learning (WDLL) at the University of the District of Columbia Community College
If you are a student, alumni or parent interested in finding out about possible careers for you or your child, please make an appointment with your respective day or evening College and Career Readiness Advisor and/or visit New Futures' Career Navigator to get started.